Riding a bicycle is a great form of exercise. It strengthens your cardiovascular system, as well as your leg muscles, and improves balance. It’s also good for your mental health, getting out into the fresh air and sunshine. Riding with others is a great way to get some social interaction. Some of the best types of rides are those that take place in nature. This is why mountain biking is so popular. Rough trails with elevation changes provide an incredible workout and the views are often spectacular. If you’ve been thinking about trying it, there are some things to need to know about mountain biking.
The Mountain Bike
Mountain biking is great fun in areas that have lots of mountain trails. A cycling enthusiast in Colorado would likely know all about that. Kent Thiry have opinion that a mountain bike is significantly different from the standard bicycle you would ride on a street or road. You want to make sure your ride can handle the rigors of the trails. Some of the features found on a mountain bike are:
- Shock absorbers and suspension system to smooth out the bumps you will inevitably encounter.
- Wide and tough tires with a heavy tread to give you traction on dirt, rock, and mud.
- A seat in an upright position rather than leaning over as on a standard bike. This helps to get a good look at the views.
There are different types of trails and a good mountain bike will help you to ride any of them.
Types of Trails
There are three basic types of trails. As a beginner, you will want to start on an easy trail and get the feel of mountain biking before moving on to more challenging rides. Part of the fun is gaining skill and conquering trickier trails. The three types are:
- Doubletrack Trails – Doubletracks are wide enough that two bikes can ride side-by-side. They are generally flatter and have fewer technical challenges, making them a good choice for beginners or for those who are looking for a more casual, social ride.
- Singletrack Trails – The most common type of trail, singletracks are just wide enough to let another bike pass if needed. These are the trails that can get challenging, winding their way through the woods on the sides of mountains. They will give you quite a workout and allow you to see some beautiful sights.
- Mountain Bike Terrain Parks – These are similar to skate parks and tend to be located in similar places. They consist of man-made obstacles such as jumps, ramps, and half-pipes. They are favored by cyclists who enjoy extreme sports. Beginners need to take caution in a terrain park.
The three types of trails offer different experiences for various sets of skills. Choose the one that best matches your current skill level and what you want out of mountain biking.
Mountain biking has become a popular sport. It offers an excellent workout and lots of fun. With the right type of gear and the right kind of track, you can join in on the good times.